Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Doughnut principle

One thing I love about having four children is how smoothly our family can divide into groups.  2 parents, 2 boys, 2 girls.  2 parents, 2 older siblings, 2 younger siblings.  3 boys, 3 girls, & ect...  A dozen doughnuts in our household is simply perfect because everyone knows without any discussion that they personally can have two doughnuts.  Our doughnuts will sit on the counter for a few days until there is only one doughnut left.  John is usually responsible.  For some reason he will eat one of his doughnuts and then not be interested in the other doughnut for a week or more.  Probably he does not really like doughnuts.  I am always surprised and pleased that my kids will not eat that last doughnut when it sits on the counter day after day.  This is unusual since they snack all day long.  Barak's birthright is first claim to any take-out container in the refrigerator.  They are welcome to and liberal with all snack crackers, popcorn, fruits, veggies, cookies and even interim meals as they like.  I think the fact that that last doughnut will sit untouched for a week or more shows pretty great character in my kids.  They know that once they have had their two doughnuts, whatever is left does not belong to them.  My kids are awesome.  Also, you could spell donut or doughnut.  I personally like the first way.  I have seen it both ways and dictionary.com agrees that either way is correct.  But, blogger underlines it as a misspelled word so I went back and changed them all.  boo.

No comments: